Thank You! 7 Bible verses on being thankful!
“And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:15-17
With Thanksgiving approaching, I wanted to write you a quick note. I have seen your posts on Facebook about your days of thankfulness. Thankfulness to me is the key to everything so I enjoy reading what you are thankful for. It’s surprising that we have only set one day aside a year to give thanks. It has become more about decorations and shopping than truly reflecting. But let’s go past that.
I love Colossians 3:17 which reads “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
So how are you living out thankfulness in your everyday?
Recently a co-worker, who was considering taking a new job, stopped by my office. He explained about the opportunity and mentioned when he accepted the new position he was going to march into the boss’s office and give him a piece of his mind.
A Christian brother, I decided to push back on him. At first all he wanted to talk about was the negative aspects of his current job. As we discussed things further I asked “how has this job blessed his life over the years?” He cited off multiple things that were incredible: friends, his ability to do his passion, and the freedom learn. With further discussion, we started to talk about all that God had done on his behalf over the years there and I could see thankfulness rise in his heart. My final question was, “do you think approaching your boss in thankfulness would leave a better memory in your heart and honor God in that place?”
A humble “Yes” was his answer and followed up with a thank you phone call later in the day.
So many times we want to be heard rather than just standing back, reevaluating the situation, and choosing thankfulness. Or we choose selective thankfulness only praising the good things when the biggest benefits of thankfulness are in our times of pain. I challenge you, take your worse situation right now, and thank God for the opportunity you have to be challenged and humbled in it. You will start to see faith, peace, and thankfulness rise in your heart which will provide relief from feeling like you are doing it all alone.
Are you lonely? Give Thanks…
Going through divorce? Give Thanks…
Sick? Give Thanks…
Broke? Give Thanks…
For me, taking hold of thankfulness provides freedom and peace while changing what I rely on. It takes the burden off me and places it on God who is more than able to do what I can’t. Then I can sit back and watch how my situation will change.
Guess what? You can do this all the time.
Here are 7 Bible verses (ESV) on being thankful:
- Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Psalm 107:1
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
- Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Psalm 106:1
- May he grant you your heart’s desire and fulfill all your plans! Psalm 20:4
- Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Let the house of Aaron say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Let those who fear the Lord say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. Psalm 118:1-18
- The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalm 28:7 (NLT)
Make your thankful list today and see how it changes your mind and yields greater peace.
Photo By: Faith Goble